Skin problems are endless. Dry skin, oily skin, acne, pimples, blemishes and scars, warts, moles, wrinkles and more make your skin look unhealthy and unattractive. You often find a very pale you in the mirror. Contrary to the popular belief, now we know that it is not the color of the skin that really matters. All we need to long for is a healthy skin that glows.
Alternative health care recommends a variety of natural and safe skin care products with natural ingredients for a trouble-free skin. However, it is always advisable to consult a health care professional before trying out something new.
What to look for in a skin care product?
- The first thing to ask for is Vitamin E. Vitamin E protects the skin from the harmful UV rays and other environmental factors which may cause the production of the harmful free radicals. It prevents sunburn, ageing, alleviates scars and stretch marks, and treats a variety of skin conditions.
- Neem is nature’s boon to man. An anti bacterial, anti fungal, anti allergic and anti Viral herb, its benefits are endless. Neem extracts are used to pimples to eczema.
- Passion fruit extracts pamper your skin. A natural emollient, passion fruit contains linolenic acid that smooths and softens the texture of the skin.
- Chamomile tea is used to on the problem areas since time immemorial because of its rejuvenating and healing properties. A herbal product with chamomile extracts can soothe your skin.
- Babassu oil is a great moisturizer for irritated skin.
- Itchy, inflamed skin, dermatitis, acne, ringworm, scabies and pruritus may be treated with peppermint essential oil.
- Avocado oil, rich in sterolins will lighten the ageing spots, soften and moisturize the skin. People with dry, undernourished skin, eczema or psoriasis may benefit with this. It also increases the production of collagen (the main protein of connective tissue) in skin which is found less in ageing people.
- Rooibos contains antioxidants that works wonders to support your skin immunity and attends to many skin complaints.
- Cleavers tightens the skin, improves complexion and helps with mature and ageing skin.
These are some of the natural ingredients you should look for when you buy a product. Remember that the media is not the last word your skin problems and it is not a healthy idea to change your skin creams and cosmetics every other day. Avoid harsh soaps on your skin, reduce the consumption of sugars and processed foods and follow a diet free of artificial flavors, colors and preservatives. Drink a lot of water, exercise and lead a stress free life!
-Aparna K V