You won’t feel well if your digestive system takes a holiday. The colon is the place where your body extracts solid wastes after absorbing the necessary minerals and before excreting the faeces.
Bacteria In The Colon
There are some friendly bacteria (Acidophilus and Bifidus) in the colon that help in digestion, promote vital nutrient production, maintain pH balance and prevent the growth of bad bacteria. Neglecting the health of the colon may cause a dominance of bad bacteria resulting in a variety of health conditions. The bad bacteria may get boosted up by your unhealthy foods that are processed and contain preservatives, artificial flavouring agents and colourings, lack of fibre intake, use of alcohol, certain medications and the like.
Lack of fiber and water are the main cause for constipation. A healthy colon will produce 1-3 bowel movements within 12-24 hours. If you are constipated, the sticky faecal matter may get deposited in the wall or in the pockets of the colon. This will lead to poor nutrient absorption and will also release toxins to the other parts of the body.
Colon Cleanse Diet
Colon cleanse diet is the safest and easiest way to clean your bowels and to make them function properly.
- Avoid pasteurized dairy products, processed meat, processed oil, seafood, refined sugar, alcohol, caffeine and soda as the first step.
- Next to processed foods, avoid flour products to ease your bowel movements.
- Enrich your diet with fruits like banana and raw vegetables (fiber).
- Drink a lot of fluids.
- Yogurt and fermented foods also help.
- Also try a herbal colon cleanse instead of an enema.
- Licorice root is a known laxative and detoxifier.
- Psyllium and flax seeds are other ingredients that you can look for in a herbal colon cleanse.