One day when I met my friend she had a bandana tied on her forehead. On being asked she told me she has a headache and she would be alright in fifteen minutes to half an hour as she had taken a painkiller. She further told me that she gets these splitting headaches almost every alternate day and popping a painkiller is the easiest solution. Is it really? And is it free from side effects? No, excess of aspirin is not a healthy solution. Overdose of aspirin can cause heartburn and other symptoms of stomach irritation such as indigestion, pain or nausea. Aspirin is also a blood thinner and excess of it can be harmful. So what to do when one gets a splitting headache, take a painkiller or you can get rid of it using a holistic therapy.
Several alternate treatments for curing headaches:
Shirodhara: Shirodhara is an Ayurvedic method of pouring medicated oil continuously on the forehead for about an hour. This treatment is helpful in treating long term chronic headaches. This method can be easily tried in Ayurvedic centers as it would get quite messy at home.
Talapodichil: a specially prepared Ayurvedic paste on the forehead for half an hour to soothe the aching brows.
- The best way to cure a headache, according to naturopathy, is by placing a wet mud slab on the forehead.
- If the headache is caused due to upset stomach or irritated bowel, the commended cure also includes placing a wet mud slab over the belly on an empty stomach atleast twice a day.
- If the headache is caused because of high blood pressure then massage your forehead and temples with ice cubes.
According to Sujok, the fingertips are the points corresponding to forehead. Whenever you get a headache tapping the fingertips on a tabletop will stimulate the head points releasing the tension in the forehead and easing the pain.
- Lemon and chamomile herbal teas are quite beneficial in curing headaches.
- A cold compress made of lavender and peppermint essential oil should be applied on the forehead whenever a headache strikes. The cold compress should be applied in a relaxed manner so just close all the light and lie down with ease and let the cold compress work its magic.
- Messaging your forehead and temples with few drops of marjoram oil mixed in almond oil or any other base oil to soothe the headache.
According to acupressure there are several acupressure points corresponding to the head. When these points are pressed and massaged for three to five minutes the headache is cured. Most important points for curing headaches are sun x, governing vessel, triple burner 23, Long 7 and large intestine 5. The locations of these points are difficult to explain in writing and it is best to purchase an acupressure chart to know the exact locations.
Herb for headache:
Feverfew: feverfew is an excellent herb for curing headaches caused due to migraines. It is best to chew the leaves of feverfew, however because of its bitter taste; you can eat it along with your food to mask the taste. In case if you are not able to find feverfew leaves in your area then you can also eat a herbal capsule of feverfew for similar benefit.
Just try one of these methods and you may never have to take a painkiller for headaches ever again.