Ayurveda has become quite popular in recent years. But you must know that there is a lot more to it than drinking herbal medicines. Ayurveda also teaches how to lead a healthy lifestyle by overcoming or avoiding different medical conditions which someone would come across due to an unhealthy environment of diet. If you are opting for ayurvedic treatment for PCOS, then you need include a combination of therapies, healthy lifestyle and herbs.
Can Ayurveda treat PCOS?
It has been found that Ayurveda is actually quite effective in treating PCOS. The best ayurvedic treatment for PCOS is a whole package. First, you will be given some herbs that will help boost your fertility and also maintain hormonal balance. You will also have to go through a number of therapies and follow a balanced diet. These things work together to help overcome the various PCOS related problems.
What cause PCOS?
According to Ayurveda, there are three types of forces in the human body- vatta, pitta, and kapha. These circulate inside the boy and helps in the performing of various vital bodily functions. The main cause of any disease is the disruption in the harmony of these three forces of energies. It is also said that men and women both have ShukraDhatu. It is extremely important to keep the reproductive health of a person in check. It contains that male and female hormones, androgen and estrogen respectively. The imbalance in these hormones can also lead to infertility. In women, when there is an imbalance in the hormones, excessive secretion of androgens take place which causes the formation of a number of cysts on the ovaries and this is medically known as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS).
Dos and Don’ts for PCOS patients
For any kind of treatment, you will need to follow certain parameters so that the treatment is effective. This is also the case with ayurvedic treatment. Some of the most common dos and don’ts according to Ayurveda for PCOS patients are given below.
- It tells the patients to reduce or cut down the amount of milk or milk products consumed by the patients. But there is an exception for buttermilk. Buttermilk is allowed.
- If you have to, then you should go for low-fat milk and boil it before consuming it. A pinch of turmeric or ginger will also help reduce Kapha thereby increasing the quality of the milk.
- A natural sleep pattern is extremely necessary. You need to follow it thoroughly. Afternoon naps should be avoided as they tend to disrupt the sleep cycle at night time.
- Junk food is a big no. You cannot consume junk food at all. Moreover, the amount of red meat, eggs, and deep-fried foods should be restricted. Fish can be consumed once in a while.
- Sugar and sugar based products are also unhealthy. So you should switch to honey. Sugar is known to increase Kapha, while honey is known to reduce it.
Various herbs like Shilajit, Turmeric, Vibhitaki, Cinnamon, Guduchi, Neem, Amla, Ashoka and a lot more are known to help reduce the symptoms of PCOS and increase fertility. Ayurveda has been found to be quite effective in this matter.