The fear of waking up with those terrible looking pimples, blackheads or blemishes gave me many sleepless nights in my teenage years. If you are someone who shares the same fear then you will definitely find these acne healing tips, remedies and diet suggestions helpful.
In spite of the usual myth, inadequate hygiene or unhealthy dietary habits doesn’t cause acne. It is conceived to be the effect of an overrun of sebum, a waxy substance that lubes the skin and makes it supple. The sebum may stopple a hair follicle; bacterium grows inside this plugged follicle leading to redness. This redness or inflammation can lead to pimples or blackheads. Acne is an eruption of numerous pimples, blackheads all at one time.
Day-to-day Tips for Acne Management
- Wash the affected part atleast twice or thrice each day with a mild soap or facewash. Always wash it with the gentle hand and never scrub too hard. Even while wiping the area pat dry and never rub.
- Your hair should not touch the affected area; it can cause irritation and spread acne around the already affected part. Keep long hair off the shoulder or face.
- Shaving for men is a real issue if they have acne. Avoid shaving as far as possible. Even if you do have to shave avoid nicking the affected area. Do not ever share your razor with anyone and use fresh blade to avoid spreading the acne.
- Avoid using cosmetics on the affected area.
- Don’t squeeze, pinch or scratch the pimples, you could end up with scars and marks.
Ayurvedic Explanation and Treatment of Acne
According to ayurveda acne happens due to aggravated pitta dosha. To restore the pitta imbalance include loads of bland foods in your diet such as oatmeal and basmati rice and avoid fried, spicy and citrus foods.
Natural face cleansing ritual
- Add one teaspoon of chickpea flour in just enough water for a paste like mixture. Wash your face with this mixture and pat dry with a towel.
- Mix a teaspoon of almond powder in a cupful of goat milk. Apply this paste on the affected area and was off after it has dried.
- A cream made of sandalwood and turmeric should be applied next. The turmeric may leave a yellowish tint on your face; however, this will just vanish in a matter of few days.
Herbs for Treating Acne
- Herb specialists have advised genus Echinacea, calendula, tea tree oil, and turmeric root. These herbs are available in herbal creams for external application as well as in herbal tea form.
- Herbal capsules of Ribes nigrum (black current) seed oil or evening primrose oil should be taken twice a day regularly for acne to vanish.
More Holistic Cures for Acne
Yoga: doing specific yoga asanas can increase the flow of blood towards the acne affected area, flush away toxins and renewing the skin tissues. The following five asanas are commended: standing sun pose, seated sun pose, knee squeeze pose, cobra pose and baby pose.
Aromatherapy: aromatherapy is a lesser known and practiced holistic treatment, however it has many benefits. A drop of tea tree oil when applied directly on the affected area speeds up the healing process of the acne. Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic and it cleanses the affected area by killing the germs and bacteria.
The above stated holistic remedies, tips and cures are quite beneficial in curing acne when practiced regularly. However, it is advisable to consistently try just one remedy at a time for a month or two before trying something else.
Kaircin – Ayurvedic facial oil
- Prevents pimples, pigmentation scars and wrinkles.
- Contains anti -ageing properties.
- Reduces stretch marks and dark circles.
- Nourishes and tones the skin.
Direction of Use:
Apply 5 drops of oil on face and neck before sleeping in a circular motion. Retain for 30 minutes and wash with lukewarm water. Best results when applied daily.