A skin rash is bothersome and embarrassing. Red, itchy patches especially in children can cause a lot of trouble and concern. Symptoms of a skin rash include itchy red bumps, cracking or scaling skin, flaky dry skin and topical lesions.
Only a dermatologist can rule out the complications and give you a correct diagnosis in case of persistent rashes. Most often, a rash results in a lot of skin discoloration and spotting due to scratching and skin cream abuse.
If your child gets a rash, the first thing you need to remember is to cut the child’s nails well and for babies gloves should work fine. And the next thing is to distract the child from scratching the affected area. Light, loose cotton garments can be worn for maximum comfort. Leave infants without clothes or diapers until they get rid of their rash. There a lot of home remedies which you can try while you fix an appointment with your doctor.
- Aloe Vera- This should be a must-grow in you garden. Aloe can soothe skin rashes, minor burns and cuts. To relive itching cut aloe plant and wash it well before extracting the colorless liquid from the inside. Wash away any yellowish fluid as it can irritate your skin further.
- Chickweed- A great topical remedy, chickweed soothes and cools chronic itching.
- Vitamin E- Dry and cracked scaly skin can be treated with Vitamin E.
- Oatmeal is highly soothing for dry itchy skin. Oatmeal baths can be highly relaxing.
- Chamomile can cool itching and relieve inflammation. It is a known remedy for diaper rash. Wash the area with chamomile tea.
- Lavender oil will have a highly calming effect on the skin as well as the mind. This will help to retrieve undisturbed sleep patterns.
- For cleansing the area, use witch hazel.
- Birch leaves, calendula, cleavers, comfrey and dandelion roots are also great for regenerating and healing the skin.
- It is also advised to take vitamin c to reduce rash. However, it is wise to consult a doctor before administering vitamin c.
Having a low immunity can be one of the reasons for repeated rashes and skin irritations. Skin is the primary barrier that your body provides to all the foreign invaders. The skin with its dry and acidic environment kills any bacteria that comes in contact with it. Any lack of resistance from the part of the skin may allow the bacteria to enter the body and cause an infection. Vitamins are the best immunity boosters for your skin. Echinacea is a herb that can enhance your immune system. Research shows that it is great to prevent viral infections and to prevent allergies.
-Aparna K V