Ashwagandha is also referred to as the Indian Ginseng. This herb has been used in India for its medicinal properties for thousands of years. The Sanskrit meaning of Ashwagandha is ‘something which smells like a horse’. This herb probably got its name because of its pungent scent. Herb enthusiasts’ world over have now started using this herb for its many health benefits: immunity strengthener, calming herb and stress reliever. This herb is known to make one more energetic, improve vitality and also improve mental functioning.
Ashwagandha is a native herb to India and is an evergreen shrub, which grows up to 6 feet tall. From the plant you get small flowers, which are yellow and green in colour, growing on stems. The flowers are followed by red berries. The roots, seeds and leaves are medicinal in nature. Ashwagandha herb is now available in easy forms such as capsules, herbal teas, tinctures and extracts.
The Benefits of Ashwagandha:
Herbalists use Ashwagandha to increase the patient’s resistance to stress, anxiety, trauma and anxiety. Similar to Ginseng, Ashwagandha is used to improve the strength of the body, improve mental health, prevent infections, improve health in general and increase physical energy.
More health benefits of Ashwagandha are:
1. Reducing inflammation: Based on a study published and validated by the Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, this herb curbed inflammation in animals. Humans are expected to respond in a similar way to Ashwagandha. Ashwagandha is commonly used to cure chronic inflammatory ailments and arthritis.
2. Anxiety and Stress: Ashwagandha is an adaptogen which means that it has a calming effect. This herb is commonly used to cure anxiety, ulcers caused due to stress, stress, insomnia and other diseases which are caused by anxiety.
3. Curing Exhaustion: The Ashwagandha herb is a popular remedy for those who suffer from exhaustion, fatigue and chronic fatigue syndrome.
4. To increase weight: A research study published in Journal of Research in Ayurveda & Siddha proved that Ashwagandha herbs increase weight in children who are underweight. The children were prescribed safe dosage of this herb for sixty days and in the end they weighed better and their red blood cell count also improved.
5. Enhances immunity: Ashwagandha has been known to enhance the functioning of immunity system cells like lymphocytes. This herb is popularly taken by those who are suffering from a weak immune system and who are prone to infections.
Ashwagandha is also beneficial in the treatment of senile dementia, preventing cancerous development, improving sexual performance in men and improving fertility in women, and curing insomnia. The leaves and the bark of Ashwagandha are also applied externally to treat sores and skin inflammation.
The typical dosage of this herb is about six grams of dried root every day. The herb is available in several forms such as herbal capsules, herbal tea, herbal tincture.
-Capsules: Ashwagandha herbal capsules measuring 500 mg can be taken two to three times every day.
-Powder: 3-gms with warm water/honey/milk
– Ashwagandha herbal tea: The herbal tea is extremely beneficial, however, it has a very strong taste so it is best to add honey to it.
– Tincture: Take about half teaspoon or three quarters teaspoon of ashwagandha tincture, dissolve it in half cup water and have it. You can have the tincture about three times in a day.