I hear a lot of people say “I had tonsils and I couldn’t talk or swallow for days”. They are unknowingly talking about Tonsillitis or bad tonsils than just tonsils which are always there in their body.
When you talk about tonsils you are in fact talking about two masses of tissues on either side of throat that help to protect your body. These tissues cannot be differentiated in color or size from the surrounding area when normal. Tonsils have to be there along with adenoids to thwart any infection entering through the mouth by producing antibodies. When your tonsils get infected they swell causing a lot of pain and discomfort. Swollen lymph nodes in the neck, throat pain and fever follow suit.
- Acute Tonsillitis- An infection of the tonsillitis characterized by a sudden or gradual onset of a sore throat which is usually accompanied with fever. Along with bad breath the sufferer may also have ear pain with swollen lymph nodes. The tonsil color changed to red or grayish white. Some people may contract strep throat or acute mononucleosis, two different kinds of infections.
- Chronic Tonsillitis- If you get sore throat frequently it may be Chronic Tonsillitis. With this condition, you may also feel something stuck in the back of your throat. Frequent and repeated tonsillitis causes small pockets (crypts) for form in the tonsils. It can act as reservoir of bacteria and small, bad smelling stones (tonsillitis).
- Peritonsillar Abscess (Quincy)- A painful condition wherein the tonsils is caught with a lot of pus behind it and is pushed back to the uvula. I you have Peritonsillar Abscess, you may have difficulty in opening your mouth. It needs prompt medical attention as it can cause severe health risks.
- If you snore remember your tonsils! Enlarged tonsils can cause airway obstruction, disturbed sleep, sleepiness, nightmares and even lead to chronic ear infections.
If you get more than five infections a year or have sleep apnea your doctor may talk to you about getting your tonsils removed. However, some health experts are totally against tonsillectomy while some others point out that tonsils do not have major role in one’s immunity. To prevent infection, pain and to avoid surgery you can try a natural remedy.
- Try lemon: Squeeze some fresh lemon juice in a glass of warm water and add four teaspoons of honey and a quarter teaspoon of common salt. Sip it slowly.
- Boiled milk with a pinch of turmeric powder and pepper powder can give good results.
- Make a tea with chives and scallions for a herbal remedy. Take the leaves of the herbs and simmer them in water.
- Use garlic, tulsi and fenugreek in your daily foods.
- Echinacea, wild indigo and sage can enhance your immunity.
- Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Selenium, Zinc and zinc lozenge are beneficial for tonsillitis.
- Quit cigarette and alcohol.
- Avoid spicy, sour and fried foods.
- Take vegetables juice and fruit juices. Carrot, beet, and cucumber juice is found to be good for tonsillitis.
- Take rest and give your voice also some rest.
-AparnA K V